Sunday, March 4, 2018

"a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" - Laozi, Tao Te Ching

"a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" - Laozi, Tao Te Ching

This is the first post about my 2,190 mile thru-hike on the #AppalachianTrail, which I will begin in April 2018 from Harpers Ferry WV to Mt Katahdin in Maine. I will complete the southern portion of the trail between Harpers Ferry and Springer Mountain Georgia by November 2018. This is known as a "flip-flop" hike (see link).

Hikers use trail names to identify themselves, either self-assigned or given by other hikers. I went through several for myself ("Geo" for Geof and my degree in Geography, "Napkins" as I can't throw away extra paper napkins from fast-food restaurants, and others), but I ended up with "Happy Hermit" as it describes me reasonably well. I'll see if it sticks.

I will follow-up with posts about my personal background, inspirations, equipment decisions, and reference books later, but I am an accomplished procrastinator, as well.

Thanks for following!
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/thru-hiking/alternative

No comments:

Post a Comment