Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Quick update:

Quick update:
After two brutally cold, windy days on the #AppalachianTrail north of Daleville, I made an unscheduled stop at the Wattstull Inn in Buchanan VA. I was seriously concerned about frostbite with below freezing temperatures (as attested by my lemonade slush) and 40mph winds along the ridges. My fingers were numb from the start, despite my "windproof" gloves.

Thankfully, a trail angel gave me a ride 5 miles from the VA 614 trailhead (though in the back of a pickup, so still cold) to the Wattstull Inn, a very nice place with Foot of the Mountain restaurant onsite.

My fingers are still recovering (tingling, but I can tie boot laces again). Weather looks much warmer for the rest of the week, though a chance of rain.

There are also a lot of blowdowns (downed trees) across the trail from the recent ice storm, and I hear this continues north of Waynesboro and into Shenandoah National Park. This is slowing me down, but I've run into two volunteer trail crews hard at work removing them so I hope my delay improves the situation.

My next planned stop is at a hostel in Glasgow VA on Saturday.

1 comment: