Thursday, December 6, 2018

Quick update:

Quick update:
After crossing the James River footbridge last Saturday, I stopped at Stanimal's 328 hostel in Glasgow where I had a shower, did laundry, resupplied at Dollar General, and ate a large veggie pizza (the essentials) before moving on early Sunday.

Blowdowns are still a problem on the trail. Some sections are relatively easy, then there are miles of complex and difficult to bypass blowdowns (reports at https://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/trail-updates#VA are relatively accurate for Central Virginia where I passed through the thick of it, but clearing is happening after I passed).

I got into Stanimal's other hostel in Waynesboro this morning after nearly 4 miles of extensive, difficult blowdowns. I heard from the caretaker that Shenandoah ahead has about 100 trees down across each mile of trail, which corresponds to what I saw today and yesterday between Humpback Rocks and Rockfish Gap (pictures). Still, I want to press on early Saturday hoping trail crews make progress clearing the trail and terrain makes bypassing the damage easier. Oh, and up to 4" of additional snow is in the forecast for Sunday-Monday, plus temperatures in the low 20s overnight (my socks and boots were frozen this morning).

Enjoying my break now, though. Lots of food, and Internet to work on holiday shopping, as well as catching up on 2018 movie releases at the hostel. FWIW, I haven't encountered another thruhiker on the trail since a few days before Glasgow. Nice to have hostels and shelters to myself, though I did share Maupin Field shelter with a skunk Tuesday night and almost got sprayed, so it could be worse!

I'm really looking forward to getting home before Christmas. The long nights are giving me plenty of time to plan out a bathroom remodel, household cleanup, and other post retirement activities (develop a budget) when I return.



1 comment:

  1. Not good! Be safe and watch for hangers above the trail, especially in the wind. A little over 200 to go I think.

    ReplyDelete