Friday, December 21, 2018

Quick update:



Quick update:
Done! I completed my thruhike on the #AppalachianTrail yesterday at 1:21pm ET when I reached the access trail for the Appalachian Trail Conservancy at Harpers Ferry WV. I also beat the rain getting there!

Roughly speaking, eight months on the calendar since my 16 April start with six and a half months on trail.

I spent yesterday afternoon at the ATC headquarters, where the staff joined me to celebrate with Christmas cookies and sparkling cider. I also had my photo taken and added to the 2018 Hiker Book. Had fun talking with the ATC staffers and renewed my annual membership.

I also offered to help out and participate on the hiker Q&A panel at the 2019 Flip Flop Festival (details to be posted at http://www.flipflopfestival.org/).

I had dinner and spent the night at The Town's Inn (http://www.thetownsinn.com) on High Street, close to the train station. I'll be taking Amtrak home to DC this afternoon.

Once Christmas activities settle down, I'll get back to posting my backlog of daily trail updates and photos. I haven't forgotten.

Thanks for following! Have a wonderful Holiday season!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats. Glad you made it after all the ice, snow, rain, blow downs, etc. Looking forward to some more pics when you get to it. Enjoy the holidays and EAT, EAT, EAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats my friend. Enjoyed our short time hiking together. Your perseverance is an inspiration. I will be returning, again, in 2019 to do as much more as possible. Spent majority of time since i last saw you visting hospitals, doctors, etc. God willing this heart will allow me to travel on. Enjoy your retirement. OldNSlow

    ReplyDelete
  3. OldNSlow Great to hear from you! I planned to follow up and see how you were doing. The AT was tough, but Virginia was one of the easiest and prettiest sections.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey my friend. Yeah..i went back on trail starting from Springer in August. Made about 3/4 up Sassafras Mtn..heart got stupid again..i was brought back down..so it goes..going to try again in spring..at this rate will take years to finish..i was so happy for you to finish. Hopefully the maintainers will have some of issues you faced cleared.

    ReplyDelete