Friday, December 14, 2018

Quick(?) update:

Quick(?) update:
I'm at the beautiful Mountain Home "Cabbin" hostel outside of Front Royal after hiking through Shenandoah National Park for most of the week. Saturday was pretty easy, then Sunday began and ended with snow (only 5" total) and many time-consuming blowdowns near Loft Mountain campground. Skyline Drive was closed, so I spent most of Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday hiking 20+ mile days on the drive with forays onto the trail near the huts (shelters) at the start and end of the day (both the park rangers and Appalachian Trail Conservancy recommended hikers use the drive over the trail).

Thursday was all on the trail as most snow had thinned out, where I joined 50/50, another northbound flip-flop thruhiker I last saw in Daleville VA before Thanksgiving. He had only 10 miles left to complete his hike when I stopped at the Tom Floyd shelter just outside Front Royal.

I did the last four miles to the hostel this morning, and will zero here tomorrow to let my feet rest, eat, and wait out the flood watch for the rain tonight and tomorrow.

Only 60 miles to go! I expect to complete at Harpers Ferry on the 20th.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you made it through that mess. Was beginning to wonder where you were. Keep trucking - weather permitting.

    ReplyDelete