Saturday, July 14, 2018

17 June.

17 June.
From: Mountain Meadows Lodge
To: Wintturi shelter
Mileage: 16
Weather: Sunny, warm, humid

I was a bit reluctant to return to the trail, especially when the mosquitoes started biting shortly after Penguin and I reentered the woods. We passed a couple of AT hikers, then let them pass us when Penguin opted to stop at the Thundering Falls observation point. The trail then crossed some wetlands on a boardwalk and we paused to appreciate the flowers. We could already feel the heat of the sun and I was not looking forward to the 1,300 foot climb of Quimby Mountain ahead, though there was a nice view along the powerline right of way at the top.

Four miles along, we reached the trail to The Lookout cabin at the summit. Penguin opted to wait at the trail intersection while I checked it out. StillBill and Stealth talked about staying here tonight. The cabin has a steep staircase to an observation platform on the roof and a very nice view. While the cabin is private property, the owners allow hikers to use it at their own risk. The cabin has a porch and a lot of space inside with a loft and fireplace. However, it was pretty warm inside with the windows closed. I reviewed the register on the fireplace mantle and found entries from Production and Treeline, which I photographed to share with Penguin. When I returned to the AT, I could not find Penguin, so I hoped she continued on the trail and hurried along to catch up. I was relieved to find her up the trail - she left because the mosquitoes were biting while she was waiting.

We were pretty tired, it was getting late, and we were ready to stop at the Wintturi shelter. The access trail to the shelter was rather long and not very easy to follow, but we eventually heard others at the campsite and got settled in at the shelter. The brother and sister hikers showed up, as well. One of the occupants, a thruhiker named Hoot, objected when I asked about hanging my food bag on a pack hanger in the shelter (officially a no-no, but common practice) so I grudgingly went out to find a branch to hang my bear bag (my first time doing so by myself). It took me a while to find a good branch, but I got the line over the branch on my second try and used the PCT method to secure my bag for the night.

I briefly got lost in the woods when I left the shelter to relieve myself in the middle of the night. It was very dark and I took a side trail back that missed the shelter. I had to retrace my steps a couple of times and use my headlamp's white beam (etiquette requires using the red beam at night) before I found the shelter.

All in all, not my favorite shelter stay.






No comments:

Post a Comment