Sunday, July 15, 2018

19 June.

19 June.
From: Thistle Hill shelter
To: Norwich VT/Hanover NH
Mileage: 14.7
Weather: Sunny, breezy and mild

The trail included a road walk through the small town of West Hartford VT and across the bridge over the White River. The trail along the road wasn't particularly well blazed, so I had to check my AWOL guide a few times. When Penguin and I crossed the river, I barely heard a woman across the road calling out if we wanted to stop by for coffee, but Penguin wanted to continue and I'm not a coffee drinker, so I waved my thanks as we continued down the road (I later heard about trail magic in town, which I suspect was from the same woman). We reentered the woods after navigating along roads through town and under I-89.

Penguin and I took a break at the Happy Hill shelter (as Happy Hermit, I had to!). It was a nice shelter with a loft, but I did swat a few mosquitoes while snacking on Gummi bears.

There were several climbs and descents with nice views at summits. The trail popped out on a residential street in Norwich VT, where we immediately found trail magic - a cooler of canned soda. It was just what I needed and a guzzled one down. As Penguin tried to put the hiker register back in the mailbox there (the door stuck), the owner/trail angel showed up and we had a nice chat with him. He also told us his neighbor was putting out watermelon for hikers, so we stopped by and chatted with her, as well. She offered us watermelon slices and banana nut bread, and she turned out to be a coordinator for the trail angels in Norwich and Hanover NH, so provided us with the latest list of homeowners who host AT hikers overnight, since town accommodations are rather pricey.

Penguin and I stopped at Dan and Whits General Store and asked about free leftover food in their hiker box. Penguin took a container of mac and cheese and I took a ham and egg muffin sandwich. We also bought and split a large bottle of apple juice. While we ate, I made two unsuccessful calls from the angel list to get hosted for the night (out of town and room being renovated). Penguin tried another with a text message, and we hiked across the Connecticut River bridge and state line into Hanover, where we stopped at the post office (I forwarded my bounce box), the CVS for resupply, Ramunto's Pizza for lunch (first slice free for AT hikers!), and gave the angel list to Stealth who was passing by. Penguin stopped by Zimmerman's outfitter then the bookstore in an unsuccessful search for the AT trail map section north of Hanover (she had to order it online).

We received confirmation that a trail angel had room for us overnight, but we had to return to Norwich. We rushed to catch a free bus ride back. The host family was very friendly and showed us a magnificent apartment above the garage with its own kitchen, bathroom and two bedrooms. The family also let us feast on dinner leftovers, fish and beef tacos. It was amazing trail magic from a very generous family!






No comments:

Post a Comment