Saturday, July 14, 2018

18 June.

18 June.
From: Wintturi shelter
To: Thistle Hill shelter
Mileage: 12.5
Weather: Sunny, warm, humid

Nearly everyone else had left the shelter site and I was ready to go, but Penguin was sleeping in and didn't show signs of moving. The brother and sister were still in camp, and he played a loud chord on his harmonica, which elicited a "WHAT THE F**K?" from Penguin in her sleeping bag, so his sister asked him to stop. I almost laughed - Penguin isn't shy about speaking her mind. Yes, it was late by hiker standards, but it was not the first time he violated hiker etiquette (in this case, avoid disturbing sleeping hikers). Penguin told me she would catch up, so I hit the trail.

There were lots of climbs and descents, and crossing overgrown fields (and checking for ticks) in the hot sun. However, there were two farm markets on the trail today and I hoped to get soda and ice cream on the way. My first disappointment was On the Edge Farm, which posted a message at the trailhead message board that hours changed and it was closed on Mondays (today) and Tuesdays. It was another six miles to Cloudland Market, during which time Penguin caught up with me.

However, I was ahead of Penguin when I reached the gravel road to Cloudland, and found a sign that the market was closed Sunday through Tuesday! However, AWOL's guide indicated a water spigot was available, and at the very least I could refill my water bottle with lemonade mix, so I walked uphill on the sunny road. I refilled my lemonade and ate a can of sardines in mustard for lunch on the Cloudland porch, and used an outside outlet to add some charge on my phone. Just as I was preparing to leave, the owner (?) drove up with fresh flowers and to secure the place before the forecast afternoon thunderstorms. She offered to let me in to buy a soda or ice cream, but I was feeling a bit ornery and no longer felt the need. However, I thanked her and headed down the road, sure that Penguin had long since passed by.

It was a bit more than two miles to the Thistle Hill shelter, and I arrived at the shelter just as the rain started. Penguin was already there, and had indeed been wondering what happened to me (I later received her text message about that). After dropping my pack in the shelter, I went outside to rinse off standing in the cool rain.

The privy at Thistle Hill is unique - the top portion is entirely screened so it gives the occupant a 360 degree view.

A group of younger hikers traveling together arrived to tent and stay in the shelter that evening. The rain was heavy at times overnight, so I was happy to be in the shelter.






No comments:

Post a Comment