Sunday, July 15, 2018

20 June.

20 June.
From: Norwich VT/Hanover NH
To: Trapper John shelter
Mileage: 17.4
Weather: Sunny and mild

Penguin and I packed and cleaned up after ourselves, and left our thanks in the register at the trail angel's home in Norwich.

We walked into Hanover and had breakfast at Lou's, which was very busy and rather noisy. I had the poppy pancakes special, and we each took advantage of a free muffin for AT hikers. I had the impression that Penguin was eager to leave, given the crowds and noise.

We walked the trail along roads out of town, but were so busy talking that we missed a turn and I stopped to check the AWOL guide and we backtracked a short distance. The AT climbed out behind an athletic field. A short distance later, I left Penguin to stop at the Velvet Rocks shelter, which was farther off trail than I expected. I managed to catch up with Penguin, but fell behind again as we ascended Moose Mountain and I lost sight of her.

I stopped by the Moose Mountain shelter, as well, and found trail magic of a kind tied to the pack hangers - a storage box of assorted liquor mini-bottles, Hershey's miniature chocolates, and Advil (presumably for the resultant hangover more than sore muscles). Not being a drinker, I snagged a couple of chocolates for myself and Penguin. I was happy not to be around for the expected party at the shelter that evening.

There was a long descent and a long slow climb with some nice viewpoints along Holts Ledge. The trail dropped to Trapper John shelter, which was beside a remnant cabin chimney. Penguin was already there, as were several section hikers from Boston with their German Shepard. We were later joined by thru hikers from Thistle Hill shelter and Wildfire, who I hadn't seen since Palmerton PA (he had taken a couple weeks off trail).

Because some of the hikers were smoking pot near the shelter, Penguin decided to tent overnight.






No comments:

Post a Comment