Friday, August 3, 2018

03 August

03 August
My train was delayed yesterday and I missed my bus connection in Boston by 20 minutes. I decided to take a later bus and overnight in Concord NH.

While on the bus, I found a good deal online for The Centennial (http://www.thecentennialhotel.com/default-en.html), which was only a 25 minute walk from the bus station.

I had dinner at a Subway downtown near the state capitol building and on the way to the hotel.

The room was very comfortable and I slept in this morning, then had a nice breakfast in the hotel. Since the next bus to Gorham NH isn't until 5:40pm today, I spent the morning walking around town, though it was already uncomfortably humid and warm. I stopped at the abandoned B&M Railroad Shop, a McDonald's for an early lunch, then had a nice chat about my hike with the woman at the city's Visitor Center.

After more wandering around the downtown sights, I am now enjoying the air conditioning at the Concord bus terminal. Only wish I could take a shower here, but it's clean and comfortable.

UPDATE: The bus was an hour late, apparently normal due to Friday traffic. Also had some severe thunderstorms at 5pm that probably didn't help. Arrived in Gorham around 10pm but was unable to complete a call to The Barn hostel, so I walked a mile in very light rain to get there. Just flopped on my assigned bunk to avoid disturbing the other sleeping hikers. It was too warm and humid inside the bunkroom to sleep right away, but it cooled down overnight.




No comments:

Post a Comment