Friday, August 3, 2018

25 June.

25 June.
From: The Notch hostel, shuttle to Kinsman Notch
To: Flume Visitor Center at Franconia Notch, shuttle to The Notch hostel
Mileage: 17.1
Weather: Cloudy, cool morning to sunny afternoon

Penguin and I took The Notch scheduled shuttle to Kinsman Notch. Being a purist, I opted to carry my full pack and hike south to north over the Kinsman Peaks. Penguin did the same (though she didn't carry all of her food). Some hikers opt to slackpack (carry light day packs) this section north to south.

An ominous start, the trail began with a climb on wet rocks, and Penguin's water bottle fell out and ended up twenty feet down a steep leafy slope. I started to retrieve it and slipped on the rocks, banging up my shin and elbow. I managed to get up, scramble down and pass the water bottle back up.

The trail evened out after that short climb and was typical up and down past Mt Wolf peak until we reached Eliza Brook shelter at 7.5 miles. We stopped to drink and snack before the 2,000 foot climb to South Kinsman, and were joined by a 20 something hiker who didn't say much (Penguin believed he was stoned, and I won't disagree. He certainly ate many of my cookies when I offered).

Then began a steep climb alongside some very pretty waterfalls. But that was okay.

However, the trail changed to very steep climbs up wet rock slabs, looking for footholds and pulling up on trees and roots along the edges. It was difficult and very tiring, again making me worry about falls. Penguin was equally unhappy and there were lots of expletives from both of us. How they call this a "trail" I can't understand. It was nearly technical rock climbing, and I wished I had a helmet and shin/elbow guards.

Finally the trail leveled out and I felt relieved, only to be depressed to come upon an elevated pond under a peak we still had to climb! I was now concerned that we might not make the scheduled shuttle.

When we reached South Kinsman Peak above treeline, there were no clouds blocking the view but we didn't have time to stop and enjoy it.

After a small dip, we reached North Kinsman Peak, but there wasn't much of a view, and we started our descent. There were more slippery rocks but at least they were drying in the sun.

It was pretty obvious we weren't going to make the shuttle, so Penguin called to reschedule a shuttle for 8pm. I hoped we didn't run into any more delays, but the hostel owner reminded us of two significant stream crossings ahead of us.

We passed by Kinsman shelter, then reached the first of the Appalachian Mountain Club's famous huts, Lonesome Lake Hut. I wished we had time to stop, but shadows were already getting long. Near the hut was Kinsman Pond, which was spectacular, but we still had to hurry to beat sunset.

It was gettting darker but the trail was rocky. We had just made the first stream crossing when Slack arrived, but he decided to camp there.

It was easier the second time we crossed the stream. Then the trail leveled out and became smoother so we moved faster as it got darker. We were also encouraged by the sound of road traffic.

We crossed under a highway overpass then followed a paved path 1 mile to the Flume Visitor Center, arriving just before 8 pm.

Penguin left a voicemail with The Notch hostel about the shuttle, and we waited a bit before it arrived to our relief. We were debating our options if it didn't show up.

Back at the hostel, I rewarded myself with two pints of Ben & Jerry ice cream (black raspberry, strawberry cheesecake) for dinner. For the first time in a long while, I felt tired and sore.

We were definitely ready for a zero day!






No comments:

Post a Comment