Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Catch-up for 23-24 April.

Catch-up for 23-24 April. While I was waiting at Ironmasters Mansion hostel at Pine Grove Furnace, I was joined by Gizmo, a section hiker from Colorado who started his #AppalachianTrail hike at the James River footbridge almost 350 miles south. We chatted quite a bit while waiting for the hostel to open at 5pm. Gizmo got his trail name on this trip because he carries several gadgets, including an InReach satellite messaging device and a GPS watch.

We both got into the hostel (the only two who stayed that night, actually). Nice to get a shower, and the Innkeeper served us pizza for dinner. I also did my laundry.

Gizmo decided it was time to return home to his family, and a friend in Maryland agreed to pick him up the next day.

The Innkeeper provided a nice breakfast of scrambled eggs, toaster waffles, toasted bagel and orange sections. I also drank several glasses of OJ - very thirsty!

Gizmo decided to hike north and back on the AT before his afternoon pickup. He got started earlier than I, so I didn't see him again until he was returning about eight miles along. We said our farewells and I continued on to the Alec Kennedy shelter, my longest hike yet (15+ miles) finishing with some steep climbs. It was a rather gloomy hike with rain expected, but I did stop at Green Mountain store at noon and got a big turkey, ham and bacon sub with a quart of chocolate milk to wash it down (pictured). Did you notice the food theme developing?

I made it to the shelter (pictured) shortly before the rain started. Had the place to myself. It was nice to be warm and dry while the rain continued all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment