Monday, April 30, 2018

I'll start with today's hike, then post what I recall of previous days missed.

I'll start with today's hike, then post what I recall of previous days missed.

Started at William Penn shelter, starting after thru-hikers ATsquared, Patches, and another yet to be trail named. They were going to hike/hitch into Pine Grove PA to resupply. I opted to head for PA 183, and try for a spot at the Rock n Sole hostel, which provides dinner, breakfast and resupply run to Dollar General.

Very cold morning, but got packed up and hiking before 8am. Expected a relatively easy day of 13 miles, but after an easy start, the trail became rocky and there were a few big climbs/descents that wore me out. I also ran low on water and was dehydrated, ironic because the trail approaching the Fort Dietrich Snyder monument (pictured) was swampy. I was able to get refilled at a nearby spring, but sank into mud a few times.

I was able to call the hostel owner when I reached 183, and they picked me up for the 1.6 miles to the hostel, a converted garage behind their house (pictures). Happy to run into Rockdawg (met a few days ago at Cove Mountain shelter), his friends Bangles and Johnny Walker (whom I was trailing), and Red Squirrel.

Looking forward to dinner!


No comments:

Post a Comment