Friday, April 13, 2018

Finished up the last minute essentials at work today, got my hair cut short for three months hiking the...

Finished up the last minute essentials at work today, got my hair cut short for three months hiking the #AppalachianTrail, then found a US District Court Juror Questionnaire in the mail when I got home. I completed the questionnaire online, but only if/when I get a jury duty summons can I request a deferral while I hike.

Now begins the final push to prepare. Tonight I'm sorting out and bagging what re-supply items to put in my "bounce box" to ship ahead on Saturday. Still need to pre-print shipping labels for the entire hike to go in the box. Saturday and Sunday will be very busy.

And since I may not have time Saturday, I am posting my motivational lists as directed by Zach Davis in his book "Appalachian Trials: A psychological and emotional guide to successfully thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail."

I am thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail because:
I want to develop confidence in my outdoor skills
I want to be more self-reliant
I enjoy hiking and exploring the natural environment
I want to visit locations that I've only read about
I want to remain physically active and healthy in retirement
I want to demonstrate perseverance to myself and achieve something few complete
I want to be a more interesting person
It is a stepping stone to hiking the Pacific Crest Trail next year

When I successfully thru-hike the Appalachian Trail, I will:
Be more confident in my abilities to complete a difficult goal
Better appreciate the conveniences of clean running water, hot showers and a soft bed
Be better prepared for future long-distance hikes
Be in better physical condition
Have a common bond with other long-distance hikers

If I give up on the Appalachian Trail, I will:
Lack self-confidence to achieve future goals
Be embarrassed to admit failure to my friends, family and colleagues

No comments:

Post a Comment