Wednesday, October 10, 2018

05 October

05 October
From: Muskrat Creek shelter
To: Carter Gap shelter
Mileage: 12.7
Weather: Mild to warm, sunny

I started out at 8:30am after Wildcat left.

After a descent and climb, I stopped at Standing Indian shelter, which had a rattlesnake skin nailed to a front post, and pieces of the shelter Bible in the fire pit (like hotel Bibles, some group puts small Bibles in every shelter, but don't understand why anyone would disrespect it in this way).

It was a 1000 foot climb, hot in the sun, and through a burn area to the Standing Indian summit.

I stopped for the night at Carter Gap shelter. There wad a large Christian group camping. Wildcat was already setup hammocking. There was a southbound section hiker in the shelter with a friend tenting.

I successfully threw my bear bag line on the first try, but almost messed it up later when I realized I forgot to add John's snack bag from my pocket. I had to use a long branch to retrieve the carabinier that was out of my reach).

Another talkative northbound hiker joined us in the shelter, and there was a lot of conversation as Wildcat and others gathered in the shelter to eat during a rainshower.






4 comments:

  1. When you read this note you should be in the Smokies. Thanks for the memories of Georgia, except that some of the trashy shelters have been replaced - thank goodness. In 2007, mice would not stay in some they were so bad. Keep trucking, you are making good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zero'd today at Hot Springs NC after two 18+ mile days. First shower in over a week and laundry since Georgia, so I was motivated! Trying to maintain a pace of 15 miles/day. Expect the next stop at Uncle Johnny's hostel outside Erwin TN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geof Goodrum Enjoy the Roan highlands. Be prepared for cold if you stay near the top of the balds. Colors should be good that high up. Last 6000 footer you will cross, unless you detour and hit the Mt Rogers summit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Porter Morgan Already experienced a very cold night after Max Patch, colder than the Smokies. My quilt+bivy were adequate but hands and feet were cool.

    ReplyDelete