Tuesday, October 9, 2018

27 September

27 September
From: Amicalola Falls State Park Visitor Center
To: Springer Mountain shelter
Mileage: 9.0
Weather: Mild, cloudy and humid

Rockdawg met me at Atlanta's Peachtree railway station at 8:45am and, after a breakfast stop at McDonald's, drove me to Amicalola Falls State Park Visitor Center. The park was rather busy for a weekday afternoon.

I registered as a thruhiker, filled my water, and we took pictures of each other under the arch leading to the 8.8 mile AT Approach Trail. We said our goodbyes, and I made my way up the trail and 604 stairs to the top of the falls, highest east of the Mississippi River.

The packed dirt trail wasn't particularly challenging, especially after Maine, but it was a very humid day so tiring.

I reached Springer Mountain summit, southern terminus of the AT, just in time for distant rumbles of thunder. I completed an entry in the hiker's register in a metal drawer cemented in the rock and took pictures of the plaques, then hurried to the shelter just north.

Two section hikers were there but made space in the two level shelter. It started to rain shortly after I arrived, and three other hikers arrived and took the upper loft after heavy rain started.

I was grateful that the site provided a bear box to secure our food bags.

I can't say I'm thrilled to be on the trail again, but I am looking forward to cooler Fall weather and watching the leaves change on the way.






No comments:

Post a Comment