Tuesday, October 9, 2018

30 September

30 September
From: Woods Hole shelter
To: Mountain Crossings hostel
Mileage: 3.5
Weather: Cool to mild, cloudy to sunny

Overnight we were entertained by two bats flying in and getting cozy on the ceiling above Scott. We heard the flapping wings in the shelter and our headlamps came on. We also had intermittent rain overnight.

Beat Rap was up and out well before dawn. The rest of us slept in. Overnight I decided to stay at the hostel at Neel Gap, eat, and shop at the outfitter there. I hate taking a nero after only a couple of days on trail, but its the least stressful option. Barry and Scott left their car near Neel Gap, and will be returning to Tallahassee.

We left together, and let Scott set the pace. It didn't take us long to summit Blood Mountain, and we visited the stone shelter there. We checked out a few viewpoints at the summit (mostly clouded in) and started down Neel Gap. I heard about a rock scramble on the way down, but it was trivial compared to Maine.

We passed many day hikers climbing the mountain.

As we neared the bottom, Barry and Scott took a side trail to the parking area; I stayed on the AT, which was nearly flat and sandy at that point.

I crossed the busy two lane road to the outfitter, and saw lots of bicycle racers gathered at support tents in the parking area. There were lots of water cooler bottles, which explains the same staged at Woody Gap the day before.

I went in and got my bunk in the hostel, dropped off my gear, and returned to the outfitter in time to see Barry and Scott find a parking spot in front. We got food (a perfectly baked Red Baron supreme pizza and cherry Coke for me) and shopped. I picked up an Ursack to protect my food. Barry and Scott were so eager to shower before the six hour drive home that they each paid the $20 hostel bunkroom fee for the privilege.

The race team had cleared out, and Barry and Scott started home. I spent the rest of the afternoon wandering the grounds and updating these notes.

Four other hikers, three section hikers and another NoBo wraparound who recently completed Maine, are also staying in the hostel tonight.

I'm sitting outside the outfitter enjoying the pleasant weather. I still can't get a phone signal, so the outfitter tells me the chance of rain is only 10-20% for the next few days.

I chatted with an 80 year old gentleman and his daughter. He thru hiked the AT when he was 54 and again with a friend at 56. He is here today as a birthday wish.

I met a couple staying at cabins down the road who are going to meet their son who started southbound from Maine in June and will begin his post-college job in November. They are joining him southbound from Unicoi Gap for an overnight at Low Gap shelter, so I will probably cross paths with them. They also brought my attention to the hiking boots hanging from the trees here.

I drank a few sodas today and refilled water from the spigot to get rehydrated. I will "camel up" with more water when I start tomorrow.

I want to get an early start tomorrow. The next hostel stop, Top of Georgia, is a few days away and I'm looking forward to it already.

BTW, one of the outfitter employees just brought leftover pizza for me, courtesy of the owners. Trail magic!






No comments:

Post a Comment