Monday, June 11, 2018

02 June.

02 June.
From: Kay Wood shelter
To: Dalton MA
Mileage: 4
Weather: Sunny, mild, humid

I was eager for a shower and breakfast in Dalton MA. Production had same idea, so we skipped breakfast at the shelter and headed out early.

However, we had more climbing than we expected on the way.

The Cookie Lady clued me in to a possible place to stay in Dalton that was not listed in AWOL's guide (Tom Levardi's). I found the house's lawn marked with hiking poles, and a cooler with free cold soda, so I sat on the porch waiting for Tom, as a sign on the front door said he would return.

Production walked past, so I called him over, then I walked into town with him before Tom returned, leaving my power pack recharging on his porch. We passed some interesting buildings, and stopped to take a shower at the Dalton Community Recreation Association (with a $3 donation), then crossed the street to the Dalton Restaurant, where I had a three egg Everything omelette with orange juice. Production and I visited an ATM for cash, then returned to the recreation association, where I used the free WiFi.

I arranged to meet up with Production later, then walked to Shamrock Village Inn and got a reservation for Sunday night (so I could pick up my box of supplies at the Post Office in the next town on Monday), but wanted to check with Tom about staying at his house tonight, so returned to his house. When Tom arrived, we discussed the rules, and he graciously allowed me to sleep on his porch, offering me additional sleeping pads for comfort.

I left to meet Production at Sweet Pea's ice cream when it opened at 2pm, and was surprised and happy to see that he had been joined by Penguin (she stayed at October Mountain shelter, but missed the pancakes at Upper Goose Pond).

I enjoyed a three scoop hot fudge sundae. Penguin approved of the Green tea ice cream. Production, Penguin and I chatted and were reluctant to part ways, but they were continuing on a few miles to a campsite outside of town. Penguin left first, and Production followed later.

I returned to Tom's house and was joined by Gentleman, who tented in back with Tom's permission. Gentleman had seen my previous shelter log entries and was happy to finally catch up with me. Gentleman and I went to dinner at Angelina's subs, where we both got fried clam strips and chocolate milk.

When we returned to Tom's, a local hiker and acquaintance of Tom's, BibleBill, walked up, and we had a conversation until dark. Tom's neighbor brought over a tray of delicious brownies, which Tom divvied up.

I setup my bivy using the pads Tom provided. It was a cool and windy night, but I had a very comfortable sleep, broken only by the occasional noisy vehicle passing by.






No comments:

Post a Comment