Monday, June 11, 2018

03 June.

03 June.
From: Dalton
To: Dalton (0 day)
Mileage: 0+
Weather: Sunny, cool, breezy

It was cool and breezy when I got up. It was tough, since I really had no pressing schedule and the pads Tom provided made my bivy very comfortable. However, I wanted to join Gentleman for breakfast in town as he continued on.

After we were packed up, Tom surprised us with more trail magic, a box of assorted fresh donuts! I had a Bavarian. We thanked him again, and I left my pack at Tom's as I walked with Gentleman into town.

The Java café had not opened so early on Sunday, so we stopped at Cumberland Farms convenience store nearby, which was amazingly well stocked. I had two egg/cheese/sausage biscuits and a quart of orange juice, and joined Gentleman outside to eat and chat. We continued to talk as we walked along the AT blazes on High Street in town for one mile, then parted ways as the trail made into the woods.

I wandered through neighborhoods, visiting the local park and adjacent cemetery. I worked my way down Daly Street past Shamrock Village Inn, but it was still before 9am, so I walked back to Tom's and waited on his porch.

NoShoes, a young woman who started her thruhike in Georgia, walked up and asked about water, so I relayed Tom's instructions, but Tom came out to help and shared one of the donuts with her. She also asked about food in town, so I donned my pack and walked with her to the Java café, now open. I went on to the inn and checked in. Grits, who it turns out stayed at the inn the previous night with Treeline, walked up and offered me a leftover beer, but I (being a non-drinker) declined and suggested NoShoes at the café, so he went over and she accepted.

When Grits returned, he called Treeline over and we discussed hiking footwear, warranties and likely replacements. The soles and toes of Grits boots are separating. My Altra Lone Peak trail runners are showing wear (not surprising at 500 miles), and I may replace them before New Hampshire.

We parted ways as they were headed back to the trail and I went in to shower and rinse my clothes. I also got online with WiFi and belatedly replied to Penguin's texts from yesterday. I also took a picture of the forest waterfall painting directly on the wall over the bed.

I went back to Angelina's for lunch, this time a 12" turkey grinder (sub) and Cherry Coke, which I consumed quickly without feeling full at all. Then I went back to Sweet Pea's for scoops of green tea, chocolate and black cherry ice cream, again not feeling particularly full. Hiker Hunger is in full effect.

Back at the hotel, I began catching up on my G+ trail updates, watched some TV, exchanged texts with Penguin (who met up with Gentleman this afternoon and gave me trail reports).

When I stepped out to grab a quick dinner from Cumberland Farms convenience store (two packaged ham and cheese subs, chocolate milk, and a blue raspberry hyperfreeze drink), outside my hotel door were Pootz and his girlfriend M&M, who are staying at the inn tonight. I felt badly that I didn't have time to chat. I hope I see them in the morning and pass along greetings from Penguin.

Weather doesn't look great tomorrow-chilly with rain for the climb to Chesire MA and toward 3,491 foot Mt Greylock.


No comments:

Post a Comment