Saturday, June 23, 2018

10 June.

10 June.
From: Story Spring shelter
To: Spruce Peak shelter
Mileage: 21
Weather: Sunny, cool, breezy.

The day started with a 1,700 foot climb up Stafford Mountain. I left Penguin to climb while I visited the nearby Daniel Webster monument, which was an uphill road climb that satisfied my curiosity but was probably not worth the effort.

It was a long climb up Stratton, but not too hard. When I reached the summit, I met the summit cabin caretaker who told me that Penguin had been waiting. I chatted with Penguin briefly before she started down, then climbed the observation tower and took some pictures. Even there, I couldn't get a phone signal from T-Mobile!

I followed the AT down the mountain to the Stafford Pond shelter, where I found Penguin, Power Daisy, and D having lunch. Penguin continued on the trail while I had a snack of my own.

Unfortunately, I made a wrong turn leaving the shelter and didn't realize my mistake for 1.4 miles on the blue-blazed Stafford Pond Trail, so I lost over an hour.

As I hiked past Stafford Pond on the AT, I found Caterpillar and her friend swimming there and waved greetings, but I was grumpy about the lost time. The AT trail blazes near the pond were poorly marked and confusing as there seemed to be rerouting work in progress so I was even more frustrated, but I eventually found the right path.

I was very tired and late meeting Penguin at Spruce Peak shelter, having put in over 3.4 additional miles between the monument visit and my wrong turn.

The shelter was actually a nice cabin, complete with large two level bunk platforms and a wood burning stove. Penguin, Rivers and a woman who was weekend hiking Stafford Pond were there with a campfire, and we were later joined by Caterpillar and her friend. The friend has an adventurous spirit, and had a long conversation with Rivers about learning to sail, and perhaps serve on a ship's crew and travel.

The woman who hiked Stafford Pond had a car parked at the trailhead and offered to drive Penguin, Rivers and I into Manchester Center tomorrow, saving us a walk of more than 5 miles. A real trail angel!






No comments:

Post a Comment