Sunday, June 3, 2018

29 May.

29 May.
From: The Hemlocks shelter
To: Homes Road, Sheffield MA
Mileage: 11
Weather: Sunny, hot, humid

I ate the rest of my turkey grinder for breakfast then packed up and left the Hemlocks to visit the smaller Glen Brook shelter only 0.1 mile south. While there I checked the shelter register (still no evidence of Penguin - I began to wonder if she camped before Hemlocks), then filled my water from the nearby stream.

The ridge trail reached Jug End with some nice views, but a steep climb down that I did not expect. The rocks were sweating from the humidity and slippery.

I planned to reach Tom Leonard shelter, a bit over 14 miles away. But first I would detour 1 mile offtrail to South Egremont MA for a meal at Mom's Country Café. Along the detour was the Kellogg Conservation Center, the Appalachian Trail Conservancy's New England office. No one appeared to be there. The sign outside said hikers could get water from the outside spigot, but the spigot was dry. I already had water but I was irritated nonetheless.

I continued into town walking along the narrow road margin, trying to stay on the side in shade as it was already getting hot. Looking a hot mess, I entered the restaurant and got a seat inside, then ordered "Mom's Hungry Meal" of pancakes, eggs, bacon and home fries, figuring I needed calories from a real breakfast. I was also allowed to top off my water at their outside spigot.

Afterward, I stopped in the market next door that advertised ice cream and checked the freezer. There was a sign that said Gifford's ice cream would be offered when weather got warmer, which seemed like today, so I asked. At that, the owner(?) agreed and put up the menu sign, so I ordered a large blueberry cone, their first ice cream customer of the season!

I savored the cone in front of the market, then reluctantly walked the hot road back to the trail. I saw a man mowing the Kellogg's Center lawn so I asked him about the water spigot. He told me there was a leak in the water line that would be fixed soon, but offered me water if I really needed it. I declined.

On the trail I passed some sheep in a field, sympathizing that they had wool coats in the sun. Then I was assaulted by numerous mosquitoes as I entered a marshy area and the woods. The bugs were very bad, so I moved as quickly as I could and applied DEET, but the mosquitoes were vicious and even bit through my shirt.

The trail then ran through and along fields, usually in full sun, past a monument for Shays' Rebellion (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shays%27_Rebellion?wprov=sfla1).

While crossing a swampy area, the left lens of my eyeglasses popped out, but I found the lens and the tiny screw was still in the frame, so I put them in my glasses case and swapped out for my prescription sunglasses, which were more appropriate anyway.

The day wasn't going so well, and it reflected in my attitude.

The trail continued along the Housatonic River, here rather shallow and languid. There was a sign warning of PCB contamination, otherwise I might have used the water to cool off.

After another field crossing, where I paused under shade trees, the trail crossed a road and began a climb up June Mountain. I had to stop a couple of times to rest, then decided to call a local hostel owner, Jess Treat, listed in AWOL's Guide, as I really wanted a shower and did not feel like hiking the remaining five miles to the shelter.

After a few voicemails and texts with my marginal phone signal, Jess confirmed she had space and could pick me up at the next road. I wasn't sure when, so I said 5:15pm. I ended up waiting a short time, but grateful when Jess showed up.

The big news is that Penguin stayed with Jess the previous night, and had just texted Jess about staying the following two nights. Jess told me that Penguin was also trying to track me down. I finally caught up with her (sort of)!

I finally got to take a shower at Jess's house and felt refreshed!

Jess also picked up Jurgens for the night. I walked into town but the local restaurant was closed Tuesdays. At least I got cash from the bank ATM.

Back at the house, Jess helped us place a takeout order with the local pizza/Italian restaurant, which we had delivered at 9pm. Jurgens got a large deluxe pizza, I got a parmigiana casserole with garlic bread and salad with bleu cheese dressing, a nice big meal.

Jess will shuttle me back to the trail Wednesday morning after serving breakfast, then bring me back after for another night at the hostel.

I'm looking forward to catching up with Penguin!






No comments:

Post a Comment