Sunday, June 3, 2018

31 May.

31 May.
From: Beartown Mountain Rd
To: Upper Goose Pond Cabin
Mileage: 13.7
Weather: Cloudy, damp

After Jess served us blueberry pancakes for breakfast, she shuttled Jurgens, Production and I to our respective hiking drop offs. She dropped off Radar earlier, and Penguin was staying at Jess's for the day.

Although Production was starting further away, we both wanted to end at Upper Goose Pond Cabin, an enclosed bunkhouse with a caretaker who was known to serve pancake breakfasts for the hikers.

There were climbs and descents, but one descent was down a wooded hill covered with ferns to appropriately named Fernside Road.

I was still swatting mosquitoes, gnats and black flies along the way, which detracted from my enjoyment.

Cobble Hill outside and overlooking Tyringham MA was a pleasant section, but even better was reaching the road and finding the "AT Trail Stand" at the nearby farm, which contained all kinds of snacks, sodas and supplies for hikers, as well as fresh eggs. It included a device charging power strip, a hiker comment log, a purse to leave payment and a mini-fridge for the sodas. I bought an Orange Crush soda and sat down at the nearby picnic table to chat with Dennis, a southbound section hiker from Rochester who gave me reports about the trail ahead and confirmed that the caretaker at the cabin made great pancakes. I also wrote my trail name in chalk on the stand as others had done, including Camo and Bobkat. What a wonderful break!

There was a thousand foot climb to Mt Baldy, and more walking through wetland. I ran into Wheeler, another southbound hiker from Luray VA (heading to Delaware Water Gap, IIRC). He was also annoyed by the bugs and roots on the path.

I finally reached the 0.5 mile side trail to the cabin after passing the old chimney from a previous lodge. When I arrived, Pete, the caretaker greeted me and ran through the rules and layout of the camp. I was tempted to swim in the pond to clean off, but instead used the personal wash station that provided soap and water to wash up.

At the camp, I was introduced to Grits and his grown daughter Treeline, from Tampa, who were hiking ten mile days north. I recalled seeing their entries in shelter registers.

I picked a lower bunk in the second floor bunkroom and setup my bivy and quilt on the mattress provided. Frankly, I was not social (hermit, after all), as others were engaged in conversation in the living area downstairs. I focused on eating my basic dinner of pepperoni on a tortilla, a couple of fun-sized Butterfingers for dessert, brushing my teeth and putting my food bag in the bear box for the night.

Production showed up and setup his bunk nearby, but engaged with others in conversation. Some other hikers arrived late, one who completed 37 miles that day!

I sacked out, looking forward to morning pancakes.






4 comments:

  1. Hey Geof,

    Good to see you are making progress. It is "bug" season there as would be expected. Keep trucking. If you see Penguin again say hello from the Rockdawg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Porter Morgan Hi, Rockdawg! Hope all is well with you. I'll pass along your greeting to Penguin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wanted to check out cabin but didn’t want to hike the extra mile😩🤣

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Happy Hermit!!! Glad to see you are still trekking north! After I left you I zeroed for couple of days. Had breathing issues during period in Vernon. Wife came and I decided to go home to see cardiologist.. long story short have gone through battery of test, and now at stage 2 possibly early stage 3 of CHF ( congestive heart failure). Not done. Going back on trail soon I hope. Starting in Georgia and going north as soon as we get medications straight. Keep going strong my friend!!! OldNSlow

    ReplyDelete