Monday, June 11, 2018

06 June.

06 June.
From: Williamstown MA
To: Seth Warner shelter
Mileage: 7
Weather: Sunny, cool

As I only plan to hike about 7 miles today, I had a late checkout at 10:45a. Before that, I stopped by Dollar General for supplies (candy, cereal bars, eyeglass repair kit) and Subway next door for a footlong turkey sub to take on the trail.

The motel manager dropped me off at my original pickup point. Three other hikers passed by, and were applauded by kids at the school.

I crossed a pedestrian bridge over the Hoosic River, followed blazes along the road, and almost missed the trail turning up a private driveway except for help from US postal employee who waved and pointed me in the right direction.

The trail followed a stream uphill but camping was not allowed nearby as the stream is the city water supply.

I have a habit of knocking twigs and branches off of the trail with my trekking poles, related to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy's request for hikers to remove debris when possible. I found a small tree blocking the trail and walked around it, then realized I could remove it, so I dropped my poles and pulled it off of the trail with relatively little effort. I wondered how long the tree had been there and how many hikers walked around it (I was nearly one of them, so I can't claim any moral superiority).

After only a few miles, I crossed the border into Vermont and signed the trail register there. From here for over 100 miles north, the Appalachian Trail coincides with Vermont's Long Trail, which ends at the Canadian border.

The trail was pretty with mushy sections, but not enough to wet my shoes. I was wondering if this was a gentle introduction to Vermont's reputation for mud. It seemed distinctly different than Massachusetts, but that is probably my imagination.

I reached the side trail to the shelter, also mushy, and could smell campfire smoke. I found Jedi at the shelter, drying his clothes and equipment that got caught in an overnight rain. Jedi is from Fort Lauderdale, and started hiking south from Portland ME with no fixed plan.

Penguin arrived, then LightenedUp from Sarasota, who just arrived early this morning by plane to Albany and shuttle. Radar and Vinegar also walked in. Radar is leaving the trail at Bennington VT tomorrow.

All of us joined in a good conversation around the campfire until sunset, then turned in.

Before turning in, Vinegar threw more wood on the fire, and I stoked the fire again after I visited the woods overnight.






No comments:

Post a Comment