Saturday, June 16, 2018

07 June.

07 June.
From: Seth Warner shelter
To: Melville Nauheim shelter
Mileage: 13.1
Weather: Cool, dry, sunny to cloudy

I was up early and brought the campfire back to life from smoldering embers, which made Jedi very happy when he got up, as he still has some equipment to dry out today.

Penguin is not feeling well, so we may stop at the next shelter. I followed Penguin out to the trail.

We had a climb but not too much of an elevation change. We passed beaver ponds, one with an impressively wide dam.

Penguin and I reached Congdon shelter, and stopped to snack, check the register, and I found a perfect rock to cool my feet in the stream before we continued.

We crossed over Harmon Hill, and I signed the trail register there. There were some hills ahead, then a steep descent on rock steps to VT route 9.

Trail Magic! At the bottom of the descent was a plastic storage container full of drinks and snacks from the local Meals on Wheels. I immediately consumed a CranEnergy raspberry drink, and packed away a bag of Welch's fruit snacks, and split a bag of Vey Mexican seed crackers with Penguin.

We quickly crossed VT 9, and found a sign about an AT pedestrian bridge repair ahead with two bypass options. We were able to work our way around, then climbed to the ridge, both of us eager to reach the shelter after a long day.

We were the first at the shelter. I cleaned up, ate my trail magic crackers and fruit snacks, then took a nap at 4pm.

Wally and LightenedUp arrived at the shelter and we had good conversation over dinner, but bugs were a problem.






No comments:

Post a Comment