Monday, June 11, 2018

04 June.

04 June.
From: Shamrock Village Inn
To: Mark Noepel shelter
Mileage: 13
Weather: Chilly rain, then misting

Unfortunately, I missed Pootz and M&M when I left Shamrock Village Inn.

As forecast, there was a steady, chilly rain, so I wore my poncho/tarp, which I washed and wiped dry in the shower this morning.

I went to Cumberland Farms and had the same breakfast as yesterday, this time staying under the store front and out of the rain.

Like yesterday, I followed the blazes along the road out of Dalton. I felt good, fed and rested, and warm in the poncho.

Maybe TMI, but I had a lot of "rest stops" today. Maybe the quarts of OJ and chocolate milk are catching up with me, but I hope that means I am well hydrated.

I arrived in Cheshire MA just in time to get and resend my bounce box at the Post Office before its 1-2pm lunch close. I was able to restock my medications, and take out my printed AWOL guide pages to my next delivery point in Hanover NH.

In Cheshire, I returned to Diane's Twist, a small sandwich and snack stand that I passed near the Post Office, and got a Tuna Melt with Pepsi, then went back for a chocolate ice cream cone despite the chilly day.

I met a few hikers at the picnic table, including Flash (who looked familiar, and recognized me because we met in Harpers Ferry when I started) and Cobweb, who was hiking a few days to an event in Bennington VT. Two Amish women also passed with backpacks and went to the Post Office.

The other hikers continued on, and I followed after savoring my ice cream and putting on my fleece and gloves.

After leaving Cheshire, I finally began my hike uphill to Mt Greylock. It was a long climb but I felt good (the sugar from lunch probably helped).

When I reached Mark Noepel shelter just below the summit, Cobweb and another hiker from Cheshire were settling in for the night. I took a top bunk spot and settled in myself

Again TMI, but I still needed to relieve my bladder overnight, which was a challenge quietly putting on shoes, climbing off a top bunk and navigating out of the shelter in complete darkness when my headlamp would not come on. The headlamp worked after I stepped out of the shelter, and I have since fixed the problem (I hope).






1 comment: