Saturday, June 23, 2018

09 June.

09 June.
From: Goddard shelter
To: Story Spring shelter
Mileage: 9
Weather: Sunny, cool

I got up after sunrise, had a quick breakfast of peanut butter with honey and a chewy granola bar.

I packed and headed uphill but did not climb the fire tower again despite a hiker nearby citing a clear view.

The trail was a "green tunnel" with few views. I continued my diversion of clearing sticks and branches from the trail, but I'm getting a bit OCD about it, stopping to toss stubborn tangles off the trail.

At 4.3 miles, I stopped at the next shelter (Kid Gore) to check the register and add an entry. The shelter has a nice view. However, some idiot left trash and food in the bear box.

While hiking, I realized that I dropped my bag of beef jerky, so I backtracked a short distance until I found it. At that point I decided to suppress my urge to clear the trail - I'd spent enough time already.

I chatted with two southbound hikers whom I met along the way.

I enjoyed a nice section of trail along a beaver pond.

It was a short uphill climb to the shelter, and I got settled in before 1pm, swept out shelter as I always do when I arrive first, and cleaned myself up.

Snugs and Rivers stopped by for a break at the shelter and reported that Penguin was on the trail.

Penguin arrived at the shelter after a more than 17 mile day for her, and she reported that young hikers arrived late at the Nauheim shelter last night and stayed up late, a definite breach of shelter etiquette. Hopefully we won't have the same here tonight.

Four young hikers joined us at the shelter for the night, two section hikers Power Daisy and boyfriend D who tented nearby, and thru hikers Caterpillar and her friend (do not recall her trail name) who stayed in the shelter. They were chatty after dark, but Penguin told them to quiet down or talk outside so we could sleep.







No comments:

Post a Comment